Housing costs are on the rise for both older adults and students. Housing options are on a steady decline.
Solution: Two unrelated people share a house or apartment to their mutual advantage.
Bonus: Intergenerational living.
Shared Spaces, Connecting Generations.
Home Share is an innovative, mutually beneficial housing solution that skillfully matches older adults in Hastings & Prince Edward Counties with Loyalist students. *No personal or medical care is provided as part of this program
What Is Home-Sharing?
A home-sharing agreement that is mutually beneficial for both people. Benefits:
For the older adult:
- Financial gain for renting out a bedroom
- Social support
- Supports “aging in place”
- Can decrease loneliness and social isolation
- Lower than market value cost of rent for a room
- Approximately seven hours per week of companionship, light housekeeping, chores or agreed upon tasks between the student and older adult
- Ideal for international students to address social isolation and cost of living
Support & Safety
Home Share Loyalist is facilitated by a team of social service workers who prioritize safety and respectful connections.
All participants complete a Vulnerable Sector Screening and all homes receive a Home Safety Audit. Social service workers provide support.
Is Home Share Right For You?
- Are you an older adult (55+) who has a spare bedroom? OR Are you a Loyalist Student?
- Are you willing to share your living space?
- Are you open to new experiences and people?